Pepper Burrito “Bowls” (Stuffed Peppers)
Meaty portabella mushrooms take the place of meat in these vegetarian-friendly pepper burrito bowls. Brown rice and beans make a healthy yet satisfying addition to the filling.
Author: Mushrooms Canada
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
What You Need
- 3 large red, green or orange peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large fresh portabella mushrooms, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, partially drained
- 1 package Tex-Mex seasoning
- ¾ cup canned black beans
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Optional: Chopped cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream, and salsa
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side up in a shallow baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook brown rice as per package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add diced portabellas and sauté 4-5 minutes, or until most of the moisture has been released. Add onion and garlic to the pan; sauté another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes, Tex-Mex seasoning, black beans, corn, and cooked rice to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until mixture thickens slightly, 6-8 minutes.
- Spoon rice mixture into each pepper half (approximately ½ cup in each). Sprinkle each pepper with shredded cheese. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until peppers are softened.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro, and diced avocado, sour cream and salsa on the side.