Olive and Feta Stuffed Mushrooms
These stuffed mushrooms make a great starter or party snack, but they can also be paired with a salad for a filling vegetarian meal. A mix of olives and onions with a bit of hummus make up the flavorful stuffing. It’s used to fill mushrooms that are baked until tender and then finished with a sprinkle of feta cheese.
Author: Mushroom Council
Serves: 8 to 10
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
What You Need
- 20 white button mushrooms (about 16 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted green olives, diced
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons hummus
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish
What You Do
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Finely chop the stems and set aside. Use 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to rub each mushroom cap. Place the mushrooms top side down in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and the chopped mushroom stems. Cook until the stems soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the green and Kalamata olives. Cook for 1 more minute. Stir in ½ of the red onion and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the hummus.
- Use a spoon to fill each mushroom cap with an equal amount of stuffing. Return to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Sprinkle with the remaining onion, feta cheese, and parsley before serving warm.