Grilled Portabella Burgers with Garlic Mayo
These portabella mushrooms are marinated in a homemade barbecue spice mix and grilled until tender. When served, they are loaded up with sweet grilled red onions and savory garlic and chive mayonnaise.
Author: Mushroom Council
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15 min
What You Need
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dark or light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 portabella mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 small red onion, sliced (keep rings intact)
- 4 buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Olive oil for grilling
What You Do
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place mushrooms on a baking sheet. Drizzle marinade over mushrooms and rub liberally to coat all sides. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- To make garlic mayo, stir together mayonnaise, chives, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Brush grill grate with olive oil. Place mushrooms and onion rings on grill. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until both are darkened and tender.
- To serve, spread bottom of each bun with mayonnaise, top with lettuce and a few onion rings. Add mushroom and cover with top bun.